Light As Many Candles As Possible


        My second post is about another original drawing. It depicts a girl in a gown, going up a flight of stairs, a ball of fire in her hands. Each step has a small candle, and the steps she had already passed have lit candles, whereas the ones to be crossed are unlit. I got the idea from an article I had read that was about  trying to make the world better by helping as many people as possible. The phrase really inspired me, and an image formed in my head. 
        This is in fact a mixed media piece, composed of part wax-based color pencil and part watercolor. I used my color pencils for the figure, candles, the window frame, and the flames.

        I first started with the sky when I switched to watercolor. I wanted it to look like dusk was falling, to fill up the world with darkness. I was unsure of how I would fare, but the results have definitely satisfied me. *I also used washi tape to mark off the border.*
W/ sky
        Finally, I filled in the stairs and wall. My initial idea was to make everything a dull stone gray, but Then I switched the wall t brick, which did not end well. The stairs too could have had added texture. In fact, the whole background could have been better. The colors were definitely too light. *I took of the tape after the paint dried.*
Finished

        *I am considering recreating this theme with a different, all-colored-pencil approach.* 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And now.....

A Surprise for Tanisha!

How I Draw: Brown Hair