How I Draw: Blending


        How I Draw: posts explain how I draw a part of a drawing. Each post will focus on a different part, and how I shade and such. The first post will be about blending, a key element when drawing, whether graphite or color pencil.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Blending can be done two ways: with a white color pencil and a colorless blender. It is up to the artist to decide where to use which. In the following posts, I will tell what I use for blending. However, that doesn't mean the other won't work. Below, the pros and cons for each.

White Colored Pencil:
Pros:

  • Good for wide areas and overlapping colors
  • Smooth finish
  • Good for drawing skin and hair
Cons:
  • Makes the color much lighter, and hard to regain color
  •  Not good for transitioning from one color to another
Colorless Blender:
Pros:
  • Doesn't make colors lighter or darker
  • Good for transitioning colors
  • Good for creating streaks in hair
  • Good for shadows and clothing
Cons:
  • Not ideal for skin
  • Bad for large areas
  • Rugged look if not properly used
Examples:
(Colors Used: True Blue, True Green)

White Colored Pencil:

Before

After


Colorless Blender:

Before:

After:

White vs. Colorless:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And now.....

A Surprise for Tanisha!

How I Draw: Brown Hair